Friday, March 16, 2012

My Brother, My Hero, My Marine!!!

Avonlea and I are back from going with the family to South Carolina to pick up our new Marine!!  I could rattle on about long car rides and small irritations that come along with being around family for long periods of time...but we all survived each other and Travis survived boot camp.  All is well.  

Here's a shot of Avonlea and her Uncle Travis on family day at MCRD Parris Island, she's looking super cute in her camo tutu, camo flower bow and USMC shirt and he's giving a small smile for me (evidently Marines are instructed not to smile while in their Marine Corps uniforms).  This was right after the Drill Instructors released the 554 new Marines to join their families for 5 hours of liberty.  It was pandemonium.  We, like the rest of the family and friends were scrambling to find our Marine among the sea of camouflage.  My youngest brother, Clint, found Travis first and ran into his embrace for the first time in 3 months.  I found them seconds later and I can't tell you how much it warmed my heart to see my two younger brothers hugging tight, tears streaming down both of their faces.  I wish I had a picture of that.  However, I was too distracted, waiting my turn to hug my brother.  

Family day was a blur.  Travis, or shall I say Pvt. Miller, wanted to show us everything he could basic training from standing here on the "yellow footprints" as he got off the greyhound and in the early hours of the morning Tuesday, December 13, 2011... 

...to Sunday, March 4th, 2012, when he received his Eagle, Globe and Anchor emblem, the moment that he transitioned from recruit to Marine. 
He told us of the 13 weeks of grueling physical training, the screaming Drill Instructors, the Corps Ethics and Values classes, and much much more.  However, he did not have to explain to us about the awful sand flea problem on the island...we got to experience that first hand.  Together we visited the Parris Island Marine Corps museum, toured his squad-bay where his platoon lived for 13 weeks, and ate at the on-base Subway.     It was a nice day, sans the sand fleas.

I can't describe how proud I am of my brother.  Only 2 years and 6 months apart, Travis and I are close enough in age to have been each others childhood playmate and worst enemy as teens.  We've been through a lot together.  I hope now this renewed pride I feel to be his sister will draw us even closer. 
We got back to Kentucky and it was time for parties.  Everyone wanted to see the man in uniform!

(Not the most flattering picture, but there were like 5 cameras going off at once so what can you expect? :) )

We have him back, though not for long.  Already I'm anxious.  He gets on another bus in Lexington on Monday evening to go to Camp Geiger, North Carolina for Marine Combat Training and training for his occupation within the Marines.  At least this time, he'll have his cell phone and will have much more freedom than while at basic training.  It will be nice to speak to my brother rather than anxiously waiting on the mailman to bring a letter.  

I have renewed respect for all you military families out there.  Thank you for your soldiers and your patience and prayers as they protect our country, whether at home or abroad.  

Congratulations to the fellow members of 3rd Battalion Mike Company - especially platoon 3021 - as well as the members of 4th Battalion November Company.

Happy Mothering!


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Travis! That is wonderful! Clint looks so big and little Avonlea is more adorable than ever :) Glad to hear everything is going well! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete